Choosing your wedding venue is based on a few criteria that are important to you. Before you make your final decision, you should have an answer to some practical questions. With this handy list of questions for your wedding and party venue, you'll be perfectly prepared.
Photo (top): Wedding planning & styling: Présence - Photo credits: Lux Photography - Location: La Ferme de Balingue
If the location has a website or an information brochure, you will undoubtedly find many answers to your questions there. With this handy checklist at hand, you'll be sure to ask all the right questions.
Questions about timing
- Is the venue available on your wedding date for your wedding party?
- Will there be another wedding or another party on your wedding day?
- When can you enter the venue for set-up? Until when for dismantling?
- Can you use the venue all day and evening?
- Until what time can your dance party go on at night?
Questions about the party room
- What is the capacity of the venue - how many guests can you accommodate, in your formula?
- Can you get a room plan, with the right dimensions?
- What room(s) and garden(s) can you use?
- How much privacy do you have - for example, if there are other parties on that day?
- Does the party room have enough chairs and tables?
- Can you see them?
- What are the dimensions of the tables?
- Can you go outside in nice weather?
- Is there a nice place to take photos?
- How will the party go if it rains?
- Are there any toilets?
- Is there enough parking space?
- Is there a cloakroom?
- Is the location child-friendly?
- Are candles allowed in connection with fire safety?
- Can we sprinkle confetti or rice?
- Are all audio-visual services (sound boxes, lighting for the dance floor) present?
- Is there a dance floor?
- Is there a stage, microphone and projector for speeches?
- How 'dressed up' is the location? Is there any decoration included in the venue hire?
- Can you come and have a look when the location is built up for another wedding?
- Is there a space where you can retreat between the reception and the evening party?
Questions about the organisation
- Is your contact present on the day of your party?
- Does the location work with regular caterers or can you choose yourself?
- How do you finalise the reservation?
Questions about costs
- What is the price for renting the hall, and what are the possible additional costs?
- Is the room hire price lower on other days of the week (e.g. Thursday, Friday or Sunday)?
- How is the location insured against theft and accidents?
- Do you need to take out any insurance yourself?
- What are the terms and conditions if you want to cancel?
Finally: Have you found the wedding location of your dreams? Then book it right away! For most venues it is best to book 8 to 14 months in advance. Some venues may have last minute availability or be fully booked more than a year in advance.